Welcome to the SPF 75 Program!
I am so thrilled that you are here. Today is day one. One of our favorite things to do is to start the summer with adventure. For us, there are two things that say summer.
- Books – we always head to our local library, sign up for the summer reading program and pick out a few of our favorite books.
- Geocaching – our first geocache after school is out signals that summertime has arrived.
Now if you have never heard of geocaching and don’t have a clue what it is, I want you to stay right here. But if you’ve done it before and want to skip down to the challenge, then scroll down to GEOCACHE CHALLENGE in red.
Geo means Earth, and cache means a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place. Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. When my friend first told me about this, I was sure she was crazy. But I promise you, I have seen the young and old play this game and for those that love adventure, this is it.
- You will need to visit geocaching.com and sign up for free and get a username. This will track all the hidden treasure you find.
- Things you will need
- A smartphone with a geocache app or a GPS device. Check your app store, there are several free ones for both Android and iPhones. I use a paid version for the Blackberry.
- A pen or pencil
- A box with a few trade-able items. They need to be pretty small. Use your imagination to thing up small desirable items.
We have logged 290 finds. Big ones, small ones and even some pretty bizarre ones. You can geocache even when you are traveling during the summer because there are over 2 million in the WORLD!
Beginners – Find three geocaches anywhere. It’s your first time, so just get out, enjoy the fresh air and have some fun. They can be tricky if they are well hidden, but don’t lose heart. Stay with it. Sometimes an extra pair of eyes can really help you find that first one. Remember that you are looking for something that doesn’t belong. The bigger the box the easier the find.
Advanced – Yeah, you know who you are. Chances are, you’ve done this before and probably already done the ones that are closest to home. So it’s time to expand the horizons. Choose three geocaches at LEAST three miles from home with a three star difficulty or two micros and a regular.
SCIENCE EXPERIMENT – LEMON VOLCANOES
Lemons are an amazing fruit because they are so pungent. They awaken the senses and are very aromatic. There is nothing more fun than mixing nature and science. After surfing around for the most perfect project, I found a great experiment at BABBLEDABBLEDO.
Give them a try and let me know how YOURS turn out.
A. PUMPKIN RECOMMENDS…
Each day, my little girl A. Pumpkin will recommend three of her favorite books that we have read over the years and one chapter book.
Here are our favorite first day picks for picture books.
Here’s her favorite chapter book. Summer is the perfect time for lemonade, and with our activity today, this book just fits. It’s a wonderful tale about a lemonade war between a brother and a sister. You will have to read it all to see which one wins.